5 Tips To Encourage Kids To Brush Their Teeth
Get your kids to brush their teeth with encouraging tips and tricks from the office of Dr. Carol Jin, DDS in San Ramon, CA. Changing routines and busy schedules can turn this crucial task into a dreaded chore quickly. Dental health affects your child’s whole-body health. The sooner tooth brushing becomes a joyful habit instead of a punishment, the better.
Toothbrushing Basics For Kids
Teaching teeth brushing is a lot simpler than it sounds. Learning how to brush your teeth can be fun for kids if they take turns brushing your teeth as you show them how. Here are a few simple steps to help you get started.
- Place the scrubby bristles of your toothbrush against your front teeth.
- Move the toothbrush in circles along all the fronts of your teeth.
- Now, make circles on all the backs of your teeth.
- Then, lay the toothbrush bristles on the tops of your bottom teeth and scrub, scrub, scrub.
- Next, let’s do the same thing with your top teeth. Scrub all the bottoms.
- Lastly, brush all the sugar bugs right off your tongue.
5 Fun Toothbrushing Tips
Show your kids that dental hygiene is fun. Starting early and staying consistent will instill healthy oral care habits for years to come. There are so many tools available to help you support the learning process in children big and small.
- Have a two-minute toothbrushing dance party or use a fun timing app.
- Make a simple daily brushing motivational chart with an earned reward every so often.
- Find an “all about brushing” book or video starring your child’s favorite characters.
- Let them pick out their own age-appropriate brush and toothpaste.
- Make tooth brushing time an opportunity for family time. Brush your teeth together.
Your Child’s First Dental Appointment
Before visiting your family dentist for the first time, it can be helpful to introduce your child to what they can expect. Let them come along to your appointment to meet the dentist and ask lots of questions.
Scour the library for a simple kid’s book about first times at the dentist and explore pictures of a dental office and common dental tools together. It’s essential to do your best to make this first encounter a positive experience.
Your Kids Dental Office In San Ramon
At the office of Dr. Carol Jin, DDS in San Ramon, CA, we hope these tips help you think of ways to teach your kids to love brushing their teeth. We can’t wait to meet your whole family. Contact us today to schedule appointments for your children and yourself. We’d love to support your efforts to plant the seeds of lifelong dental health.