Restorative Dental Care
We understand that a healthy, confident smile is an important part of your overall well-being. Dr. Carol Jin’s restorative dental care in San Ramon promises patients the comprehensive, comfortable services needed for better oral health and appearance. From fixing damaged or missing teeth to providing fillings and crowns, our family-friendly professionals can help you toward the smile you deserve.
What Is Restorative Dental Care?
If your smile has been compromised because of decay, fractures or deterioration, then tooth restoration can help bring out the best in your teeth. With restorative dental care, your dentist will restore or repair missing, broken, damaged or misaligned teeth.
Restorative dentistry is for people of all ages. Kids, adults and seniors alike may all require some form of restoration in order to maintain lasting oral heath and function.
Restorative Vs. Cosmetic Dentistry
Although these two forms of dentistry may sometimes overlap in terms of end result, restorative dentistry’s primary goal is a healthy mouth while cosmetic dentistry addresses aesthetic concerns. Damaged or decayed teeth can limit one’s ability to eat or speak, as well as lead to further oral health problems, and would therefore be a restorative fix. Alternatively, appearance-oriented services such as veneers or professional whitening would fall under cosmetic service.
Who Needs Tooth Restoration?
While teeth are incredibly durable and withstand tremendous wear and tear in a person’s life, they are not indestructible. When trauma affects your mouth, it can damage anything from a portion of a tooth to an entire tooth or several teeth. Thankfully, with modern dentistry and skilled professionals working to address the problem, your teeth can be repaired and brought back to their original state, or better. In some cases, restoration practices are used for those who want to improve the alignment of teeth for both visual and functional purposes.
Restorative Dental Care for Kids
Children may not be as practiced as adults when it comes thorough care or avoiding injury. They’re also more prone to trouble eating and drinking if dealing with pain, so prompt care can alleviate problems while preventing additional damage. Common procedures for kids include fillings, crowns and baby root canals.
Restorative Dental Care for Seniors
For teeth that have seen decades of use, issues such as root decay, gum disease and darkened teeth may all be signs that restorative dentistry is needed. Dr. Carol Jin also specializes senior dental care, including full and partial dentures, to complement other tooth restoration services.
What Procedure Will I Need?
Your restoration will depend on the specific issues you are facing. Dr. Carol Jin will perform a thorough oral examination to see which procedure is right for you. The following restoration procedures are regularly performed out our office.
- Fillings – A decayed tooth is removed and replaced (filled) with silver amalgam, gold, or a composite resin filling. Resin fillings can be colored to match your tooth, providing a natural look.
- Root Canals – When a tooth becomes badly decayed or infected, the nerve and pulp must be removed. After this is done, then the inside of the tooth is cleaned and sealed to prevent further problems.
- Crowns – A replacement tooth forms a cap that is placed over the damaged tooth, thus restoring its original size and shape. It also helps retain the tooth’s strength and appearance or is used to hold the bridge in place or cover an implant.
- Bridges – These false teeth are designed specifically to “bridge” any gap created by a missing tooth (or teeth). Bridges are permanently cemented into place.
- Implants – A small metal post is placed into the bone socket of a missing tooth, effectively replacing the tooth’s root. The post is then covered with a replacement tooth (crown) for a restored look.
For healthy, natural looking teeth and a mouth free of pain, call the dentist office of Dr. Carol Jin and schedule an appointment today. Our friendly professionals will get you on your way to enjoying all the benefits of restorative dental care right away.