Keep your teeth healthy, bright, and right with professional teeth cleaning in San Ramon from Dr. Carol Jin. Overall, professional dental cleaning helps to maintain good oral health and prevent dental problems. It ensures thorough cleaning, early detection of issues, and overall improvement in oral hygiene. San Ramon dentist Dr. Carol Jin provides the kind of family dentistry you need to remove plaque and always present a healthy, happy smile.
Why Do I Need Regular Dental Cleanings?
There are several reasons why someone should get their teeth professionally cleaned by a dentist or dental hygienist.
- Plaque & Tartar Removal: Regular brushing and flossing at home cannot effectively remove all plaque and tartar buildup on teeth. Professional cleaning can help remove these hard deposits, preventing tooth decay and gum disease.
- Stave Off Gum Disease: Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is caused by bacteria in plaque and tartar. If left untreated, it can lead to tooth loss and other oral health problems. Professional dental cleaning can help prevent and manage gum disease by thoroughly cleaning the teeth and gums.
- Detecting Issues Early: During a dental cleaning, the dentist or hygienist closely examines your teeth and gums. This allows them to detect potential dental issues, such as cavities, gum inflammation, or early signs of oral cancer. Early detection can lead to prompt treatment and better oral health outcomes.
- Fresher Breath: Poor oral hygiene can lead to bad breath. Professional cleaning removes plaque and tartar, which are often responsible for persistent bad breath. Regular cleanings can keep your breath fresh and improve your overall oral hygiene.
What To Expect During A Dental Cleaning
As an adult, when you go in for a dental cleaning, you can expect the following:
- Oral Examination: Your dental hygienist or dentist will examine your mouth, checking for any signs of oral health issues such as cavities, gum disease, or abnormalities.
- Plaque & Tartar Removal: Using specialized dental instruments, your dental professional will remove plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth and along the gumline.
- Teeth Polishing: After scaling, your teeth will be polished using a polishing compound and a rotating brush or rubber cup.
- Flossing: Your dental professional will floss between your teeth and along the gumline to remove any leftover debris and plaque.
- Fluoride Treatment (Optional): Depending on your oral health needs, your dentist may recommend a fluoride treatment.
Ultrasonic Teeth Cleaning
We use ultrasonic teeth cleaning technology, which uses sound energy to remove plaque, tarter, stains, and bacteria from your teeth. Ultrasonic teeth cleaning even cleans areas below the gum line that are beyond the reach of ordinary hand instruments or picks most commonly used by most other dentists.
How Many Times Should I Get My Teeth Cleaned?
The frequency of dental cleanings can vary depending on the individual’s oral health and specific needs. We recommend professional dental teeth cleanings at least twice a year or every six months. This allows regular removal of plaque, tartar, and other harmful substances that can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
However, it’s important to note that some individuals may require more frequent cleanings. This includes those with a history of gum disease, smokers, people with weakened immune systems, pregnant women, and those who tend to develop plaque and tartar buildup more quickly.
Schedule Your Dental Cleaning Today With Dr. Carol Jin
Daily brushing and flossing will keep dental calculus to a minimum, but a professional cleaning will remove buildup in places your toothbrush and floss have missed. Your visit to our office is an important part of your program to prevent gum disease and to your teeth for your lifetime. Give us a call to schedule an appointment.